Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pilot Frixion Pens

I'm one of the pattern testers for the 1912 project (this year is the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking) and recently made up a Princess Slip from the 1912 La Mode Illustree, a French fashion magazine.  Since I was making it in muslin and not for a finished garment, I thought this would be a good project to test the new marking pens.  The marks are supposed to disappear with heat, reappear if put in the freezer at 14 degrees F or less, and completely disappear in water.  Here are the pictures of my results so far.  I haven't tried to freeze it - my freezer is full!

Black Frixion lines on bodice back
After using a hot iron on lace placement lines, they disappeared.  I avoided the fold line with the iron. 
Spritzed with water - no change.  After the slip was completed, I put it in the washing machine on warm.  All the marks disappeared.  Obviously, since the pens are new, I have no idea what will happen over time.  I won't use them for a while, probably years, where they will show - just in case - but I purchased them to mark turn lines on applique.  I also have an orange and a green Frixion pen but haven't tried them yet.  
 
If anyone is interested in seeing my comments on constructing the slip (yeah, I know - so not quilting!) you can see the post here.

7 comments:

  1. I've wondered about those pens, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed that you are a pattern tester! I just found my "Titanic" tickets that I had from going through the exhibit. It was amazing to see all of the recovered artifacts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't purchased the Frixion pens yet. Probably will eventually, but they scare me so I've been waiting to see what the braver gals, who have used them, have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Frixion pen and use it all the time. HOWEVER!!! I just found out that if I use it on a darker fabric (red), when you iron it away, there is a WHITE mark left. It's as if the pen was bleach! So, be careful. Try it out on anything darker than off white.

    I found out because I used it on a customer's quilt, of course. :-(

    robin
    http://robinsnestquilting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, I love your quilts!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frixion Pen marks can be very quickly removed with a hair dryer instead of ironing.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments. If you have a question, please be sure I can get back to you!